Flood insurance is normally included as a standard part of your buildings insurance, but it won’t cover your contents unless you also have a home contents insurance policy

Flood insurance covers standard items such as:

  • Removing debris
  • Repair or replacement of damaged furniture and belongings
  • Professional fees (e.g solicitors, architectsm surveyors)
  • Alternative accommodation while you can’t live in your home
  • Drying out, repairing and restoring your property and its fixtures and fittings

When it comes to claiming for damaged belongings, the amount your insurance company will pay out depends on the type of contents insurance you have.

  • New for old – If you have a ‘new for old’ policy, your insurance company should pay out enough to replace all damaged items with new equivalent items (other than clothes, where there’s usually a deduction for wear and tear). Most policies offer this.
  • Indemnity cover – If you have this type of policy, you’ll only get the value of your possessions before the flood occurred. So, if your sofa needs replacing at a cost of £2,000, you’ll only get what the old one was worth, which might only be £200.

If you’re struggling to find insurance cover that’s affordable, Flood Re might be able to help you.

Flood Re has been set up as a joint government and insurance industry initiative that works behind the scenes to help insurance providers offer more affordable policies to households with eligible properties affected by flooding.

Because of the high cost of clean-up and repairs following a flood, it’s important to have insurance for your home and its contents.

  • If you rent your home, it’s your landlord’s responsibility – not yours – to have buildings insurance.
  • Your mortgage company usually insists on you taking out buildings insurance, which will often include flood cover
  • Although contents insurance isn’t compulsory, the cost of replacing everything in your home would be so high that it’s almost always a good idea to have contents cover.

Know your risk

The more you can find out about the flood risk to your property the better. Check your risk on a flood map.

Find out whether you’re at risk from river or coastal flooding where you live.

If you’re insuring a property in Scotland, it’s worth knowing that the Scottish Government does not allow insurance companies to use this information when setting insurance premiums.

Below are some frequently asked questions on flood damage related insurance issues:

I know the name of my insurance company but I cannot find my policy.

Contact your insurer who should be able to trace your policy using your personal information and your postcode.

I do not know the name of my insurance company – how can I find out about my policy?

Your insurance broker, insurance adviser, mortgage lender or bank (direct debit / standing order payments can be used to identify your insurer) may be able to help you. If you live in rented accommodation, speak to your landlord or the local authority you pay rent to.

Can I use my own builder for repair works?

You can use your own builder, but it may be better to use a builder approved by your insurance company. You insurer can give you a list of approved builders.

If you decide to use your own builder, your insurer will usually ask you to get estimates from two or three different builders to get a proper understanding of the work that is needed and how much it is going to cost.

Using an approved builder makes it easier to deal with any problems that arise as a result of repair works. If you experience any problems or have any complaints contact your insurer straight away.

Will I get any state assistance to help cover uninsured losses or damage?

The Social Fund provides emergency financial help for people affected by flooding. If you receive Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, or have limited resources you may be entitled to support. For more information see the Social Fund section of the Citizens' Advice Bureau website.

Why has a loss adjuster been appointed to my claim?

A loss adjuster represents your insurer and will be appointed to confirm the circumstances of the claim, to make sure the claim is covered by your policy, and to ensure that the full value of the claim is agreed with you. If you have a complaint about how your loss adjuster is handling your claim contact the firm that the loss adjuster is employed by or the Chartered Institute of Loss Adjusters.

Reduce the risk

Ultimately you are the king of your castle and as such, you should always take the necessary steps to protect your investment. Be proactive. Here are a few things that can be done to reduce your flood risk including:

  • Signing up for flood warnings
  • Joining a flood action group
  • Considering installing products, such as flood boards and air-brick covers, that can keep flood water out of your home
  • Lobbying for improvements to flood defences locally (working with your local authority and get involved in public consultations)
Tempest Restoration 24/7 service


A. Here at Tempest Restoration we have been providing flood restoration services to properties across the UK. In that time we have dealt with water damage of all scales. Over the years have not only been involved in 1000's of small domestic disaster restoration claims but also major incidents from the Cumbrian floods to the Buncefield fire at the oil storage terminal in Hertfordshire. Our continuous investment in the very latest flood drying equipment and technician training enables us to handle professionally any size and scale of flood damage. Our aim is to provide a prompt, professional and reliable disaster restoration service to domestic and commercial property owners.

A. We are fully equipped to clean up flood damage after all types of flood. Over the years we have helped thousands of homeowners and businesses alike recover from Coastal flooding, River flooding, Flash flooding, Groundwater flooding and Sewer flooding. Read our guide on common types of flood water. We are able to deal with all types of water including clean water, grey water (a source of water that contains a significant degree of chemical, biological or physical contaminants and causes discomfort or sickness when consumed or even exposed to) and black water (water which contains unsanitary agents, harmful bacteria and fungi, causing severe discomfort or sickness). Read our guide on common categories of water. Floods can be caused for many different reasons. Heavy rainfall, storm water, river flooding, coastal surges, leaking/burst pipes or human error are all typical causes of flood water in the home or business premises. The source of the ingress isn't always visible neither. Water can trace itself to a point from a large distance away from the entry source. Here at Tempest we have specialist detection equipment for trace and access on water ingression to a property.

A. Flood water can devastate a property. The damage may be imperceptibly slow and minor such as water spots that could eventually mar a surface. At this point, the potential damage done to a structure that you may not have been aware of can be large in scale. Or, it may be instantaneous and catastrophic such as flooding. However fast it occurs, water damage is a major contributor to loss of property. Whatever the cause, primary flood damage is just the beginning and you need to act fast to minimise the consequences of secondary damage. Your home is full of porous materials that absorb water like a sponge which will damage structural integrity. Water causes corrosion and damages electrical equipment which can be fatal if not identified. Residual moisture becomes water vapour throughout the building which will condense. If the water is not completely removed it can lead to dry rot and a high risk of microbial growth e.g. mould and bacteria which is damaging to your health and isnt always something visible to the naked eye like typical black mould in a bathroom.

A. After a safety assessment, we look to identify the cause of the water leak or ingress using various tools and equipment. Our experienced team of technicians will look to make a decision on the best course of action for your situation. The next stage utilises advanced water removal equipment followed by rapid drying technology and humidity control to remove the water and moisture from the property.

A. Their are many potential health risks associated with flood water. Apart from the initial potential risk of drowning, the further potential risks to your health very much depend upon the nature of the water. We are able to deal with all types of water including clean water, grey water (a source of water that contains a significant degree of chemical, biological or physical contaminants and causes discomfort or sickness when consumed or even exposed to) and black water (water which contains unsanitary agents, harmful bacteria and fungi, causing severe discomfort or sickness). If there is any possibility of contamination DO NOT TOUCH IT, call Tempest Restoration on 0845 052 4522. Read our guide on common categories of water.

A. Every case is different and their are many factors that make up the scale of damage and repair required due to flood damage of a property. We recommend a site survey to ascertain the level of damage and repair required. Once on site, we are able to quickly advise on the best course of action to bring about the most effective recovery. Our state-of-the-art equipment ensures the remediation process will be thorough, effective and as fast as possible, returning your home or business to normality as quickly as possible. Using the latest technology and with highly experienced technicians, our aim is to complete the restoration in the best way to reduce costs and prevent secondary damage in the future.

A. Every flood is unique and as such the timescale is dependent on many variations and factors. A small scale water leak is usually quiker to repair than large scale flooding caused by a river overflowing. Our knowledgeable and experienced team will assess the damage and act fast and efficiently to provide a tailored and precise response to your properties specific requirements. The use of modern equipment, rapid drying technology and working practise means that your home or business will be safely and quickly returned to normal, minimising disruption and cost.

A. We operate across the UK with technicians available in major towns and cities. Our head office is based in Swaffham, Norfolk where we undertake all our training.

Tempest Restoration

Head Office
Unit 3 Jack Boddy Way Swaffham, Norfolk PE37 7HJ

Contact Tempest Restoration

Phone: 0845 052 4522
General enquiries: info@tempestrestoration.co.uk


Tempest Restoration is registered in England and Wales, Number 03559516
Registered office: 19 King Street, Kings Lynn, Norfolk, PE30 1HB

Tempest Restoration BDMA RIA

© 2024 | Tempest Restoration | Terms | Privacy | Cookie Policy | Contact us | Website information & help